First Lady Ann LePage calls upon Maine citizens to participate in the Read to ME Challenge, a month-long public awareness campaign beginning this month to promote childhood literacy in Maine.
Steps for Taking the Read to ME Challenge
- Read to and/or have a child/children read to you for at least 15 minutes.
- Read an engaging book, chapter of a novel, newspaper or magazine article, comics, nursery rhymes or poetry.
- Capture a photograph of short video (15-30 seconds) of yourself reading to the child.
- Use #ReadtoME or #ReadaloudME to post the photo or video on social media with your challenge to others to read aloud 15 minutes to a child or children they know.
- Recommended social media platforms include: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Youtube.
- If you live a distance from a child you’d like to read to, use Skype or Facetime to read aloud via digital means.
- If you are unable to complete the challenge within 48 hours, consider:
- Donating a book to a school or public library, a food cupboard, a homeless shelter or a little free library near where you live.
- Volunteering your time at a library.
- Singing to or having a conversation with a child (these methods build language, too).
To hear more weekly addresses, please visit Maine.Gov